10.21.2013

Baked Espresso Glazed Doughnuts


I have a few obsessions.  1. The Joy the baker podcast 2. Tracy from shutterbean.com 3. Doughnuts

I've been listening to The Joy the Baker podcast for the last week or so at work.  Its been a lifesaver.  If you're looking for something that will entertain you and make you laugh out loud I highly suggest you listen to it.

Tracy from shutterbean.com is Joy the Bakers co-host on The Joy the baker podcast.  I love her blog. Her food always looks amazing.  I want to make everything in her recipe list.

Doughnuts. I mean, c'mon.  How can you not love these round sugary breakfast option.  I recently bought a doughnut pan through Amazon so I had to try one of Tracy's doughnut recipes.

I have to say, it did not turn out that well.. it was my first time making cake doughnuts so it is definitely trial and error.  The first batch I filled up the pan way too much, the 2nd I didn't bake them for long enough, and the third I think I had the same problem.

Regardless of my pan disasters, they taste great. Like, I've eaten almost all of them.  I am going to try out other doughnut recipes from Tracy's blog and become a fat donut expert.

Baked Espresso Glazed Doughnuts
Adapted by shutterbean.com


makes 6
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon espresso powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the topping:
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 3 oz. (6 tablespoons) cream cheese, melted
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
  • chocolate sprinkles (optional)

Heat oven to 325 F. Coat doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray & set aside. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, espresso powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, oil and vanilla until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended & well incorporated.
Spoon batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Cut of the corner and squeeze batter into prepared doughnut pan about 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack for 3 minutes, then carefully turn out directly onto rack to cool.

In a small bowl, combine espresso powder with hot water and stir until dissolved. Add melted cream cheese and stir until well incorporated. Slowly combine confectioner’s sugar, adding vanilla & milk to thin out glaze. If the consistency is too thin, add more sugar. If too thick add a bit more milk.
Dip cooled doughnuts into bowl of glaze and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl. Transfer to rack. Top with chocolate sprinkles and serve. Doughnuts will keep in an air tight container for 2-3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

give me some lovin'